Prof. Zhang Yaoxue was born in Li County, Hunan province, China, in 1956. He graduated from Northwest Institute of Telecommunication Engineering, China, obtained his Ph.D degree in computer networking from Tohoku University, Japan in 1989. One year later, he joined Department of Computer Science, Tsinghua University, China.
He was a visiting professor of Massachusetts Institute of Technology
(MIT) and University of Aizu, in 1995 and 1998, respectively. From 1995 to 1997,
he served in part time as the Deputy Director of Computer and Informatization Promotion Division of
former Ministry of Electronics Industry and the Deputy Director of the office
of National Promotion and application of electronic information systems.
From the end of 1998 to 1999, He served in part time as the General Manager of
(IBM and Tsinghua University joint ventured) Beijing Dingxin Information System, Inc.
From July 1999 to 2001, he worked as the Deputy Director and Director of Science and Technology Division of Ministry of Education, China.
He served as the President of China Central Radio & TV University from Nov. 2001
to Jun. 2006. He was the Director General for Higher Education of
Ministry of Education, China from 2001 to July 2009. Currently, Prof. Zhang is a member of the Chinese Academy
of Engineering, a member and the Deputy Secretary-General of Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council (ADCSC) and the Diretor of the Offcice of ADCSC, and a professor in computer science and technology in
Tsinghua University. He is also a member of the Advisory Committee on State Informatization,
and of Technical Committee on Ubiquitous/Pervasive Computing of China
Computer Federation. Additionally, he serves as an editorial board
member of 4 international journals: International Journal of Wireless
and Mobile Computing, Journal of Autonomic and Trusted Computing,
Chinese Journal of Electronics and Chinese Journal of Computer.
Prof. Zhang's major research areas include computer networking,
operating systems, and ubiquitous/pervasive computing. He has led many
national and international research, international collaboration and
industrialization projects. Because of his distinguished contributions,
Prof. Zhang has won the National Award for Scientific and Technological Progress
(2nd class) twice in 1998 and 2001, and National Award for Technological
Invention (2nd class) in 2004, as well as 5 provincial or
ministerial awards. He is a winner of the Prize of HLHL (Hong Kong)
Foundation for Scientific and Technological Progress in 2005. He has
filed 16 Chinese patents and 3 American patents as the first inventor,
of which 13 have been granted. Accordingly, he won the Top Patent Award
of China in 2006. Prof. Zhang has published over 180 technical papers in
international journals and conferences, as well as 9 monographs and
textbooks. He received the IEEE Best Paper Award in the 21st IEEE AINA
International Conference in 2007.
Recently, Prof. Zhang's research mainly focuses on Transparent Computing
and Active Services. Transparent Computing is a computing paradigm to
solve the problem of how to access different operating systems and
applications on one terminal platform through networks, and how to run
an operating system and applications on different terminal platforms.
Active Services is a new approach to evolve current programs and
services according to user requirements to provide personalized and
comprehensive network services.
Back to Top
- IEEE AINA-07 Best Paper Award, 2007
- The Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU) Meritorious Service Award, 2007
- The Prize of Ho Leung Ho Lee
Foundation for Scientific and Technological Progress, 2005
- National Award for Technological
Invention (2nd class), 2004
- National Award for Scientific and Technological Progress (2nd class), 2001
- National Award for Scientific and Technological Progress (2nd class), 1998
- Top Patent Award of China, 2006
- Outreach Award on Research Applications and Achievements of Tsinghua University (1st class), 2006
- Hunan Provincial Scientific and Technological Advancement Award (3rd class), 2005
- IET Educational Foundation Pioneer Award, 2004
- Scientific and Technological Progress Award of the Ministry of Education (1st class), 2002
- China University Scientific and Technological Progress Award of China (1st class), 2000
- Technical Innovation Award of the State Economic and Trade Commission, 2000
- Scientific and Technological Progress Award of the Ministry of Electronics Industry (2nd class), 1997
- Outstanding Oversea-returned Chinese Scholars, 1997
- Top 10 Electronics Achievements Award, 1996
- Foundation for Next Century Talents of the Ministry of Education of China, 1995
- Fok Ying Tung Foundation, 1994
- Basic Research Award of Tsinghua University, 1994
Back to Top
- Transparent Computing: Concepts,
Architecture, and Implementation, Cengage Learning, 2009.
- Actives Services: Concepts,
Architecture and Implementation, Science Press, 2005. (Chinese Version)
- Actives Services: Concepts,
Architecture and Implementation, Thomson Learning Press, 2005.
- Computer Network and Internet, Tsinghua University Press, 1999.
- Operating System, Tsinghua
University Press, 2000.
- Operating System - Exercises and Experiments, Tsinghua University Press, 2000.
- Walk into the World of Networks, Tsinghua University Press, 2001.
- Bilingual Operating System, Electronic Industry Press, 1995.
- UNIX Operating System, National Defence Industry Press, 1994.
- Despondent in Skyline, Central Radio & TV University Press, Beijing, China, 2006.
- Water Flow with Sky, Central Radio & TV University Press, Beijing, China, 2005.
- See also Magnolia, Central Radio & TV University Press, Beijing, China, 2004.
- Beyond Tsinghua: Random Notes on study abroad of a Professor at Tsinghua University, Guangzhou Publishing House, Guangzhou, China, 1999.
- Memory of Damucang: Higher Education Management and Practice in Ten Years, Higer Education Press, Beijing, China, 2009.
United State Patent Applications:
- An Encapsulation and Unified Access
Scheme for Components, Chinese Patent No. ZL200410030654.5
- Chips and Methods for
Remote-Booting Godson-Based Transparent Computing Devices, Chinese
Patent No. ZL200510086290.7
- Cooperative Booting Methods for
Network Computers, Chinese Patent No. ZL200410009789.3
- A Control Method and an Apparatus
for Accessing Co-Shared Resource, Chinese Patent No.
- A Network System Consisting of
Multiple Network Computers, Chinese Patent No. ZL02117909.3
- An Network Computers without Local
Operating System, Chinese Patent No. ZL03122022.3
- A Remote-Booting Method for
Computers in Networking Environment, Chinese Patent
- A Virus Preventing Method for
Network Computer without Local Operating System, Chinese Patent
- Computing Devices and Methods Based
on Transparent Computing, Chinese Patent No.
- Self-Organizing Methods for
Master/Slave Network Computer Servers, Chinese Patent
- An Auto-Assigning&Fetching Method
for Configuration Attributes of Network Computers, Chinese Patent
- A Component Composing Method Based
on the Unified Component Encapsulation Structure, Chinese Patent
- A Unified Repository for the Management of Heterogeneous Components, Chinese Patent
- Yaoxue ZHANG, et al. METHOD FOR TRANSFERRING DATA BETWEEN TERMINAL APPARATUSES IN A TRANSPARENT COMPUTATION SYSTEM, United States Patent Application: 20070271239.
- Yaoxue Zhang, et al. Method and computing system for transparence computing on the computer network, United States Patent No.: US 7,467,293 B2.
- Yaoxue Zhang, et al. Encapsulation and unified access scheme for components, United States Patent Application: 20060080336.
- Yaoxue Zhang, Laurence T. Yang, Yuezhi Zhou, and Wenyuan Kuang. Information security underlying transparent computing: Impacts, visions and challenges, Web Intelligence and Agent Systems, 8(2): 203-217, 2010.
- Tian Pengwei, Zhang Yaoxue, Zhou Yuezhi, Yang Laurence Tianruo, Zhong Ming, Weng Linkai, Weili. A novel service evolution approach for active services in ubiquitous computing, International Journal of Communication systems, 22(9): 1123-1551, Sept. 2009.
- Yaoxue Zhang. Transparent Computing: Opportunities and Challenges, the 2008 IEEE/IFTP International Conference on Embedded and Ubiquitous Computing (EUC 08), Shanghai, China, 17-20 December 2008 （Keynote Speech）
- Yaoxue Zhang and Yuezhi Zhou. 4VP+: A Novel Meta OS Approach for Streaming Programs in Ubiquitous Computing, in Proc. of the IEEE 21st International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA-07), Niagara Falls, Canada, May 21-23, 2007, pp. 394-403. (EI: 073910826506, ISTP: BGH66) (IEEE Best Paper Awards)
- Yaoxue Zhang and Yuezhi Zhou. Transparent Computing: A New Paradigm for Pervasive Computing, in Proc. of the 3rd International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing (UIC-06), Wuhan and Three Gorges, China, September 3-6, 2006, LNCS 4159, pp.1-11. (EI: 064310192575, SCI: BFA79, ISTP: BFA79) (Keynote Speech)
- Yuezhi Zhou, Yaoxue Zhang, and Yinglian Xie. Virtual Disk based Centralized Management for Enterprise Networks, in Proc. of the ACM SIGCOMM 2006 Workshop on Internet Network Management, Pisa, Italy, September 10-16, 2006, pp. 23-28. (EI: 072010598576)
- Wenyuan Kuang, Yaoxue Zhang, Li Wei, Nan Xia, Guangbin Xu, and Yuezhi Zhou. A New One-Way Isolation File-Access Method at the Granularity of a Disk-Block, in Proc. of the 4th International Conference on Automatic and Trusted Computing (ATC-07), Hong Kong, China, July 11-13, 2007, pp. 296-305.
- Pengwei Tian, Yaoxue Zhang, Ming Zhong, Yuezhi Zhou, and Cunhao Fang. A Business Area-oriented Service Component Adaptation Approach Suitable for Ubiquitous Environment, in Proc. of the 4th International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligent and Computing (UIC-07), Hong Kong, China, July 11-13, 2007, pp. 1014-1023.
- Ming Zhong, Yaoxue Zhang, Pengwei Tian, Cunhao Fang, and Yuezhi Zhou. A Unified-Index Based Distributed Specification for Heterogeneous Components Management, in Proc. of the 8th ACIS International Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing (SNPD-07), Qingdao, China, July 30-August 1, 2007, pp. 599-604. (EI: 074110862773)
- Xin Jin, Yaoxue Zhang, Yi Pan, and Yuezhi Zhou. ZSBT: A Novel Algorithm for Tracing DoS Attackers in MANETs, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2006, April 2006, pp. 1-9. (EI: 063310061212)
Back to Top
Editorial Board Member
- International Journal of Wireless
and Mobile Computing, 2004
- Journal of Autonomic and Trusted Computing, 2005
- Chinese Journal of Electronics, 2001
- Chinese Journal of Computer, 2000
- Technical Committee on Ubiquitous/Pervasive Computing of China Computer Federation, 2005
- Advisory Committee on State Informatization, 2003
- Chair of The Asian Association of Open Universities, 2004-2006
Back to Top
- Visitors and Current Members
Yuezhi Zhou (Associate Professor)
- Former Graduate Students
||Cunhao Fang etc.
Back to Top